Student use of digital devices and online services
Sydney Distance Education High School follows the Department of Education's Student use of digital devices and online services policy.
Student responsibilities are as follows:
The primary purpose of the use of personal devices at school is educational.
Student devices are only permitted to connect to the Department of Education Wi-Fi network while at school, which is subject to internet filtering.
Theft and damage
Students are responsible for securing and protecting their own devices while at school. Any loss, theft or damage to a device is not the responsibility of Sydney Distance Education High School or the Department of Education.
Maintenance and support
Students are solely responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their devices. Sydney Distance Education High School can only offer basic technical support during school visits to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connections.
Students are responsible for backing up their own data and should ensure this is done regularly.
Insurance and warranty
Parents/Carers should be aware of the terms of insurance policies/warranties for the device and are responsible for arranging their own insurance cover.
Students are required to demonstrate good digital citizenship, specifically:
- showing respect for others’ privacy in a digital context
- protecting their personal safety
- demonstrating awareness of the life of digital content uploaded on to the internet
- ensuring that content containing offensive or inappropriate language, images or multimedia is not viewed or uploaded
- demonstrating an awareness of ‘netiquette’ – accepted online communication protocols.
Refer our school specific Student Use of Digital Devices and Online Services Procedures for more information.